One of my readers/followers reminded me today that I need to brush of my thesaurus and beef up on my vocabulary. Though I have been receiving a lot of help from writers lately, what I have been trying o convey to them is that I have lost/ forgotten my vast vocabulary. I use to speak in an almost geeky jargon of scholarly intellectual form until I dated a particular person in college. This person was very important to me and so was their opinion. However, this person and their family and friends ‘teased’ me non stop about my verbiage. They would said who says opaque when you can just say black or dark trash bag? Seriously. I did it both unintentionally and intentionally because it was a coping mechanism when I was uncomfortable. Since it was all I had to fall back on when they spoke of things (experiences) I knew nothing about being much older than me. I was hurt though because instead of coming to my offense he was usually the first one to make the joke and therefore set the tone for others to make fun. His mother would make jokes but was usually the first to stop everyone else because she COULD actually see my discomfort.
Now I struggle to remember that lovely vocabulary and all the definitions. So i’m going through my my thesaurus apps and sprucing up new ways to say things but also while reading my books I enjoy seeing new ways to say the same message.
For example, I looked pretty sick this morning, my face was pale and I my hair was quite disheveled.
Yes, we can all imagine what that looks like because it is fairly common, but if I really want to grab your attention and kick it up a notch I may say something like:
Staring at my sallow countenance in the mirror I was morose to see that I had sweat through yet another t-shirt despite the air condition being on, and what is that mess of flattened, kinked, and knotted coils in severe disarray on top of my head?
I’m working on it though because I know I can do better!
hahaha j/k S.H.I.T. (So Happy It’s Thursday)
So this was a problem I started to have while in my second round of grad school. When I was receiving that ‘much needed’ second masters in my mind I began to hate reading over my work that I had written for errors and editing it for several reasons.
- The was a center for editing and though it was not perfect, if you turned it in early enough it did the work for you and you barely had to edit anything.
- The papers would become so long that after about 10 pages I seriously got tired of hearing my own voice out loud and reading my own work over and over.
- I wanted the one work to be over with already. When you see something for too long you stop seeing the errors and sometimes the ‘smart’ processors, computers, and other technology we use no longer see the issues either until YOU can look at it with fresh eyes and say wait that was not the word I meant write there. (boy I have even seen that several times in my short stories lately when others have been helping me and lately and I have been both ashamed and embarrassed).
- I am just not good at correcting grammatical errors. I am NOT NOT NOT! I do not choose to change this. I learn a little each time I write but not enough to memorize or get it right and each time I think I have something down, it seems as if it was only a exception not the rule. UGH!
- And finally, I just get over excited sometimes. I sometimes think I have a perfect work or a work that is just ready to go because I have worked so hard on it and I have totally forgotten the editing process because I have been working so long or hard on it and just want to get it out there. Despite how important editing is and that can kill you every time. People will stop reading your work if it becomes to hard to read from spelling or grammatical errors, or worse yet you simply left out or placed the wrong word when you meant something totally different. That can change the whole temperament of the piece.
All issues I must overcome to become a better writer even if I hire editors! You need to be able to do this job so that you are able to trust them that much more to edit your pieces and know they are doing an amazing job. I will become a better writer and EDITOR.